Saturday, July 21, 2012

Filipino Friday 1: Introductions

In a month's time it will be the 2nd Filipino ReaderCon.


I was unable to attend the first one last year due to hospital duty, and am unsure I can attend this year due to clinic duty, so I was happy to learn that I can still participate through the Filipino Friday meme.


This week's topic is Introductions.

As with every start of a weekly meme, we need to know a bit about you! Talk about your top 3-5 (or more!) favorite books of all time, the genres you read and would never read, the books that surprised you this year. You can also talk about how you became a reader and why you love it so much! And finally, if you were in the ReaderCon last year, talk about your experience too! If you weren’t there, but you’re planning to go this year, then what do you expect for the upcoming ReaderCon?

Firstly, I am Cecille, a doctor of internal, or adult, medicine. Because I almost always get asked after having studied thick tomes of medical books - no, I have not tired of reading. I was a reader first before I became a doctor. :)

My Favorite Books of All Time 

I have had many favorite books throughout the years, but the books that I have and will still read over and over, the ones that I would like stranded with me on a desert island, are...

"The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien


I remember a high school friend reciting the poem - "...One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them..." - from memory to me, but I first picked up the novel for myself in the year the first film in Peter Jackson's adaptation was released. And each served to enhance my love for both.

"The Stand" by Stephen King

    

I am a fan of Stephen King, but of all his works this is my absolute favorite. I love its post-apocalyptic setting, and its epic tone. But as with all his works, it is his characterization that I love the most.

My Favorite Genres
 History, both fiction and non-fiction, especially about ancient civilizations, the 19th century, and the two world wars, Mystery, Fantasy, and combinations of the above

I Avoid Reading...
 
I will probably read anything, but will not pick these up on my own - Sports Fiction, Techno-Thrillers, Westerns.

Book That Surprised Me This Year

"Lamb" by Christopher Moore
(click for my review)

I became a reader when... 
Ever since I can remember I have always loved reading, and I have to thank my parents for encouraging me by treating me to books whenever I did well in school.

1-year-old me "reading"

I love reading...
for many reasons, but primarily because it introduces me to different people, brings me to different places, and transports me to different times.

No comments:

Post a Comment