Monday, February 06, 2012

February 2012 book haul

Last month I discovered that there was a post office beside the university 4 blocks away from my house, so this morning I went there to send a postcard. And since I was already outside the house, I visited the bargain bins of the 2 bookstores nearby. And look at my haul!


 
"Wolf Hall" has been in my wish list for some time since Honey of Flips Flipping Pages (the book club I belong to) mentioned it as one of her all-time favorite books. And ever since I read Philippa Gregory's "The Other Boleyn Girl", I've been hooked on the Tudors. I think it would be interesting now to read the story from the viewpoint of one of the people who surrounded and influenced the royal family.

I was equally happy to find Connie Willis' first novel "Lincoln's Dreams", which won the John W. Campbell Memorial Award. Willis' "To Say Nothing of the Dog" is one of my favorite novels; I love the way she mixes science fiction (time travel) with history, although the history is more apparent in "Doomsday Book". Both novels are multi-award winners, which is saying something, so I always look forward to reading Willis' works. And would you believe I got "Lincoln's Dreams" for just Php5 (~$0.12)? :)

 
"Sexually, I'm More of a Switzerland: More Personal Ads from the London Review of Books" by David Rose, I picked up because it promised to be funny. And it was! Hopefully more on it on a review post.

 
Lastly, 2 copies of "Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay", for friends.
 

Today's total = 5 books = Php179 (~$4.20) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment