First was "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs. I can say that this is one of my best reads for the year, for the unusual presentation and the unusual story. I'm eagerly anticipating the sequel.
Then, finding my schedule will allow me to attend my friends' steampunk-themed (post-)Halloween party, I proceeded to get informed on the genre. I'm not sure mention of mechanical devices considered advanced for the Victorian period can be termed steampunk, but I am enjoying the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. It reminds me very much of my favorite Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. (Incidental?)
Here is my pile for the rest of the week and the next...
- "Trese: Mass Murder" & "Trese: Last Seen After Midnight" by Budjette Tan & KaJO Baldisimo
- "How to Live with a Unicorn: The Fantastic Guide to Keeping Mythical Pets" by Jane Moseley
- "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson
- "Pure" by Andrew Miller
- "From the Dust Returned" by Ray Bradbury
- "A Hat Full of Sky" by Terry Pratchett
Nothing too long, nothing too scary. Not a guarantee that I will read them, but I like having my options at the ready.